Policies and Returns
At J-Bar Hobbies our mission is simple. We strive to provide quality out-of-production kits for collectors throughout the USA while maintaining a high level of customer service.
Most of our kits that we sell through our web site are out of production and from manufacturers that no longer exist. That means that there is zero support for these kits.
Older kit values depend on five items: rarity, subject matter, box condition, assembly status and completeness. A system of grading and inspection has been developed for criteria under our control:
All boxes are graded according to a defined grading scale. Values will decrease with lower box quality.
The kit is checked for assembly. If it has been started, the work done and the quality of the work are specified in the description.
- Factory sealed kits are assumed complete. They will not be opened and inspected as removing the seal would decrease the value of the kit.
- Internally factory bag sealed kits are assumed to be complete. They will not be opened and inspected as opening the bag would decrease the value. Some kits were issued with some parts internally sealed and some loose (never bagged). In this case, the never sealed parts are inventoried before the kit is placed on the website. If complete, the kit will still be described as 'factory sealed internal bags'.
- If an opened kit is not internally sealed, it is fully inventoried against the instructions before the kit is placed on the website. If parts are missing, they will be noted in the description. Original glue, paint brushes, paints, body filler, etc are never present unless specifically noted.
- If any parts or decals do not belong in that issue (e.g. the plastic is a different color), it will be noted in the description.
- Kits will never be resealed - inside or out. Kits with suspicious external seals will be opened and inventoried before they are listed on the website and will be sold as opened kits.
All sales are final. No exchanges. If an item is not as described, please email us immediately (within 7 days of receipt) and clearly explain the issue. J-Bar Hobbies will either:
- Locate and ship you the missing part, only if the kit was opened and listed as "Inventoried complete" or
- Ask you to return the kit in the identical condition that it was received for a full J-Bar Hobbies store credit towards any future purchase. A full credit is defined as the sum of (original purchase price) + (original shipping cost) + (return shipping cost). Return shipping is by a specified method such as USPS Parcel Post.
Example of returns that will be honored:
- You received a kit that was physically different from the one you ordered
- You ordered a factory sealed kit and received an open kit
- You ordered a kit specified as internally sealed and it was not internally sealed
- You ordered a kit specified as complete/not started and it was incomplete/started
Full database records of your order, including kit descriptions, are retained to assist in a timely store credit or replacement part(s).
Example of returns that will *not* be honored:
- A factory sealed kit that has been opened. It is IMPOSSIBLE to inventory factory sealed kits and they are NOT guaranteed to be complete.
- An internally sealed kit that has had an internal bag or bags opened. It is IMPOSSIBLE to inventory factory bag-sealed kits and they are NOT guaranteed to be complete.
- The parts are off the trees or sprue. Kits are not inspected for this since motion during shipping would remove parts from the sprue regardless.
- Decals that are curled, yellow or do not work. Due to popular demand, two articles have been posted on J-Bar Hobbies about how to save old decals. Please see these articles before you use any old decals – regardless of how good they appear. Exceptional damage or wear of decals will be noted in the description.
- Instructions have general age wear – yellowed, edge chips or limited crease splits or writing. Exceptional damage or wear of instructions will be noted in the description.
- Minor broken parts (e.g. prop blades, etc), small short shots, other minor molding defects, light to medium tire burns, etc. These kits are up to 50 years old and will have minor flaws. I do my best to note major molding defects, major or missing broken parts and major burn marks but 100% accuracy is impossible. These types of defects are part of the old kit hobby. If you cannot tolerate them or are building and cannot fix them, then older kits are not for you.
- Design or detail of the kit is not up to your personal standards. If you are concerned about this, please email for details before your purchase and we will be glad to help you. Please recall that these kits are sold as collectibles and you are building them at your own risk. Any comments in the description made about mold or kit quality are relative to the year that the kit was first released. NOTE: Older kits will never match the high standards of modern, state-of-the-art kits.
- The kit is too difficult for you to build. Again, the kits are sold as collectibles. If you are concerned about the difficulty of any kits – especially vacuform and wooden kits which are for highly experienced modelers only – do not hesitate to email and ask for details. Vacuform and wooden kits are identified as such in the listing and are never recommended for beginners.
- The kit was damaged in shipment by the USPS. If you selected to insure the order and it was damaged in shipping, we will assist you in filing the claim. Save the box and all packing material. Take photos of the damage and email us immediately. If you do not select insurance, you are at the mercy of the Postal Service. All orders are packed in USPS approved weight cardboard boxes, but once it leaves our business, it is in the hands of the postal service. Please select the additional postal insurance! It is very affordable and every claim we have filed has been honored in full because we pack to the USPS code.
- Weeks or months later additional parts are found to be are missing. Please inspect your kits within the 7 day inspection period.
- Failing to read a kit description, i.e. attempting to return any kit that is exactly as described
- Removing parts from a complete kit, and then attempting to return the kit as incomplete. This behavior is rare and happens is less than .02% of all transactions, but it does happen.