The Rover Company recognized the need for light 4 wheel drive vehicles which were used so effectively during WWII. The company started developing these vehicles realizing their benefits in farming and in colonies where roads were poor. By 1948 the Land Rover was introduced. This robustly built vehicle had a 4 cylinder 97 cu in. engine providing 50 hp with a 4 speed gearbox + 2 ration transfer box to the axles, providing the vehicle with its 4-wheel drive all terrain characteristic.