Length: 205.3m Beam: 21.6m Displacement: 13600t The PITTSBURGH (CA-72), was laid down 3 February 1943, launched 22 February 1944, and commissioned at Boston 10 October 1944. She joined TF 58 in 13 February 1945, around aircraft carrier LEXINGTON (CV-16). Between 23 March and 27 April 1945, PITTSBURGH guarded the carriers as they first prepared for, then covered and supported the invasion of Okinawa. Enemy airfields were interdicted, and the troops given direct aid from the carriers. PITTSBURGH repelled enemy air attacks and launched her scout planes to rescue downed carrier pilots. On 4 June 1945, PITTSBURGH has lost her bow in a typhoon which by early next day had increased to 70-knot winds and 100 foot waves. With a false bow, PITTSBURGH left Guam 24 June bound for Puget Sound Navy Yard, arriving 16 July. Still under repair at war's end, she was placed in commission in reserve 12 March 1946 and decommissioned 7 March 1947. PITTSBURGH received 2 battle stars for World War II service.